We are a technology collaboration programme, organised under the auspices of the International Energy Agency.
We are supported financially by national governments (contracting parties) and by corporate industrial organisations (sponsors).
We are dedicated to providing independent information and analysis on how coal can become a cleaner source of energy, compatible with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
We promote best practice in all aspects of coal production, transport, processing and utilisation. We address the role of coal in the energy trilemma and the need to balance security of supply, affordability and environmental issues. Our work is focused on reducing emissions of CO2 and other pollutants from coal use through high efficiency, low emissions (HELE) technologies. In the future, this must include carbon capture, utilisation and storage (CCUS) to reach the two degrees target agreed at COP 21.
Our organisation is non-profit making and is funded primarily by member subscription.
What we do:
- Reports and reviews on technological developments for the cleaner use of coal, and on relevant markets and policies
- Extensive outreach activities, particularly in developing and industrialising countries,
- Facilitate research and development
- Support industry professionals through workshops and conferences
- Provide expert advice to our members
- Encourage the use of our resources.